Saturday, January 2, 2010

Thing 21

My only experience before this class was Wikipedia. I had always thought that was pretty much it and did not know about other wiki's. This was a total learning experiment.

http://mrsibrahim.wikispaces.com/ This was the wiki I found and actually replied to the 2nd grade class. They did a great job!

My confusion probably came in the form of being able to edit and throw in your own .02 on the wikipedia. Not sure if you can still do that. I am amazed how students will go to wikipedia as though it is the gospel truth/knowledge on everything. I almost BEG them to avoid it and it goes in one ear and out the other. REally.

So, after looking around, I am assuming I am correct in saying that you can keep your wiki private??? Password protected??

I think that having a wiki might have some privacy issues such as will ALL parents allow their child's work to be public? Probably letters of permission have to go home before this occurs and I don't know if this would be accessible on my work computer. That could also be a problem.

Having a wiki as a school staff would be a great idea. I think if teachers could do this at school and as long as they had access it would be a lot of fun for kids to share work and get connected with other classes anywhere in the world. The possibilities are endless when it comes to meeting and collaborating with peers.

I know I am rambling now, but for some reason I might be leery of creepy people seeing what kids are doing too. I guess that could be considered a major stick in the wheel, but imagine someone out there has answers for this. Cool ideas!!!!

1 comment: